How to Apply for a Provisional Licence

When you turn 17, you can now drive on the road. But the very first thing to do is to get your provisional license.

You need to physically have the card before you can drive so don’t think just because you’ve had your 17th birthday you can get out on the road. Check yourself.

So let’s get that card. 

The process is easy enough on the website. The link to the official site is here

There is no need to use any other service or go through any other website. Third-party services are just using the official gov website themselves but charging you extra admin fees. It’s really not hard to do it yourself, so save the money.

Once you’re on the gov page, simply click the “start now” button and fill out your information. You’ll need to provide some form of valid ID, your addresses from the last three years and your National Insurance number if you know it.

You can also apply for your provisional by post but this is more expensive than doing it online and takes longer to be processed. 

Post requires something called a D1 form. Not all Post Offices have these so check with your local one first. Along with the form, you’ll also need to send some ID – not a photocopy but your actual ID –  like your passport, and a cheque payable to the DVLA for £43.

We recommend doing it online if you can as it will cost £34. Just think of all the XYZ you could get for that £9 difference. These prices may change in the future but the basic idea is that online should always be cheaper.

For both ways of applying, you’ll also need passport-style photos. You know everyone has that embarrassing license photo? This is that moment.  

With everything filled in and sent off, it should take about a week for the license to arrive but if you’re the kind of person who likes to plan ahead, you can apply up to three months before your 17th birthday. 

On the big day, you should receive the license card itself. 

But if it comes before your birthday that doesn’t give you carte blanche to get driving. Remember it’s 17 AND with a provisional license, not OR with a provisional license. You need both.

The only time you can start learning to drive before 17 is if you receive the Higher Rate Mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance or the Enhanced Rate Mobility component of PIP. 

Check online at the DVLA if you qualify. If you do you can apply for a provisional licence three months before your 16th birthday and hit the road at 16.

Once you’ve got the license, it’s yours until you’re 70 – provided you drive well, of course.

Stay Connected


Advertisment Feature

Learners shelling out more than a grand on theory test attempts

Driving theory test candidates at 10 test centres spent more than £1,000 each getting their pass certificate*. The AA Driving School can reveal the...

Discover the ultimate tool for learner drivers: the Official DVSA Theory Test Kit

Study With the Official DVSA Theory Test Kit, you’ll have access to a wide range of practice materials that covers all 14 topics of the...

Safe Driving for Life eLearning

Passing your theory test is a big step towards getting your ‘keys to freedom’, and it’s important to gain the knowledge and understanding needed...

The new Official DVSA Highway Code app has recently launched!

The Official DVSA Highway Code app is an important tool for all road users, helping you staying up to date with the latest rules...

Safety by choice, not by chance

A  road safety campaign in Wales helps inform, educate, and influence the behaviour and attitudes of young and new drivers.   The “Safety By Choice,...

Other articles for you