Identify theft victim

Identify theft victim insert.jpg

Q: I’ve received a notice of intended prosecution for speeding whilst driving a car I'd never heard of.

The notice was sent to me at my old address but auto-forwarded by the Post Office.

I suspect I'm the victim of an identity theft. The police won’t reveal who gave my name and address or confirm that I'm not the registered keeper.

A: If you’re not the keeper of that car and have no knowledge of it then you need to respond by telling the police this.

Be careful because you could get a summons for failing to provide driver details - which carries six points and would lead to a ban if you’’ve been driving less than two years.

Check with the DVLA that someone has not registered you as the keeper of the car.

Legal advice insert.jpg

FirstCar's legal expert is Emma Patterson, who runs Patterson Law, which specialises in motoring cases. If you've got a legal question, email us at and we'll get Patterson Law to answer it for you. If you need the advice or representation of a great motoring lawyer, you can contact Emma or one of her colleagues, through her website.