saving money on insurance

What is the cheapest way to insure a learner driver?

The cheapest way to insure a learner driver is typically in the form of a provisional or learner driver insurance policy. You can also add people as named drivers, however this is often a more expensive way and puts the likes of your no claims discounts on the line.


How provisional insurance can save you money

Learning to drive is an expensive journey, but for many it’s one that is absolutely crucial. The price of driving lessons have risen, but not as much as some other areas such as horse riding or music lessons. Of course, driving a car puts you in control of a potentially deadly machine, so it’s worth the investment.

The DVSA has previously recommended 45 hours of tuition with a professional driving instructor plus 22 hours of practice in a family member or friends car. This advice isn’t publicised anymore, but it’s a good start for anyone trying to understand how much learning to drive will cost.

The cheapest way to insure a learner drive

Of course the cost of professional tuition can rack up, so making the most of an opportunity to get private practice should be a priority. Of course not everyone has access to a family member or friend who can give this training and we’d recommend those that do, should engage with your driving instructor to ensure the content is in-line with your lessons.

Learner driver insurance or Provisional insurance is often the cheapest way to insure a learner driver. This essentially is a policy taken out specifically for that learner and sits outside of the driver’s own insurance and therefore won’t impact any ‘no claims’ or future premiums if something bad does happen.

You can also buy a provisional insurance policy for a short amount of time, by day, by week or by month, so there’s no need to raise the annual price for the already insured driver.

Who can take out a learner driver?

Just because you’ve got a licence doesn’t mean you can teach someone else. There are also some restrictions on what you can do in your new role as a driver trainer, including –

  • 21 years or older
  • Have a full driving licence in the vehicle type you are teaching in
  • Held your full licence for 3 years or more
  • Ensure you meet the eyesight requirements set out by the DVSA (being able to read a number plate from 20 metres away)
  • The car being used is in a safe and legal condition and displaying L Plates
  • Not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs and not use your mobile phone whilst supervising!

Find a RED Driving Instructor near you

Find a RED Driving Instructor near you

RED’s experienced instructors operate nationwide. So whether you’re learning in Newcastle or Norwich or Plymouth or Preston, they’ll find the perfect instructor to help you on your journey to passing.