Our guide to finding the right instructor – it’s key to making learning to drive fun.
As a learner driver it is really important you find the right driving instructor. To make this easier, the DVSA has improved its ‘find driving schools, lessons and instructors’ service. You can now search the database of more than 26,000 approved instructors by the grade awarded to them by the DVSA by clicking here.
Most instructors are great, but if yours isn’t behaving as you’d like, or someone offers lessons for money who isn’t approved by DVSA, you can complain about them here.
You may opt to go with a national driving school like RED Driving School, the AA Driving School or BSM rather than an independent instructor. Here are some of the questions you may like to ask in advance.
- Is the instructor fully qualified, an Approved Driving Instructor?
- If I have a PDI (Potential Driving Instructor), an instructor who is still in training, will I pay less?
- If I sign up for a course and we don’t get on, can I have my money back? Or change instructor?
- Will I get the same instructor and car for each of my lessons?
- How long is each lesson? Can I choose between 60, 90 and 120-minute sessions?
- Is my instructor CRB checked? Are all the school’s instructors checked in this way?
- Are there apps or online tools included in the price of my lessons?
- Will I get help with passing my theory and hazard perception tests?
- Do you offer post-test training to improve my skills after I pass?